Wednesday, April 1, 2009





































Hi. We have been in Guangzhou since Saturday. I have not posted - I'm not too into blogging. Today is the big day - we have our swearing in ceremony at the U.S. Consulate! Our consultate appointment was yesterday where all of our paperwork was completed and Sammy's visa was issued. Today we take our final oath at 4:00 p.m. and are free to leave China. We leave for Hong Kong tomorrow.
















Sammy is doing wonderfully and tells the guides he is ready to go to The States. He is very sweet and affectionate and also very smart! When we go out he talks to all of the store clerks, waitresses, etc. - they all say he is a "clever boy." He is very independent and likes to help with everything. He wants to start violin lessons, martial arts and swimming. He has alot of energy and gets bored easily so I think we will be starting activities as soon as he is comfortable. He has been testing some boundaries the past several days and likes to tell us "no," but eventually complies with what we ask - we totally expected this and know it is very normal behavior.
















We have enjoyed our time here in Guangzhou. Guangzhou is a very large city, about 11 million people. Our hotel, The Victory, is on Shamian Island which is separated from the main city by the Pearl River. It is small and geared toward adoptive families - lots of shops and restaurants. We ventured off of the island yesterday by foot across the Pearl River to a bookstore - it was more of the "real" China and we enjoyed it. We met another family in Fuzhou whose son traveled with Sammy by bus to Fuzhou - he is from Jinjiang SWI also, however they are with a different agency. Sammy knew their son from the orphanage and the kids played really well together. We met up with them again yesterday and the kids swam and we ate at an Italian restaurant last night that was really good.
















Sammy has a great appetite and is not very picky. He can definitely put away the chicken wings! We have visited a temple, the Guangzhou Zoo and Yuntai Gardens (largest landscaped park in China) since being here in Guangzhou. We are looking forward to Hong Kong and hope to see Victoria Harbour at night while we are there. China is wonderful and has blessed us with our beautiful children, but we miss the good old USA!! Please pray for our safe and uneventful return.
















Denise

4 comments:

  1. I'm a friend of carrie's in BJ. WOW I love your story and hers too. We have a children's home in Henan Province and have seen many older children adopted this year. Its a wonderful thing. My best to you. Pam in Henan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi--I am a friend of Carrie's and for 6 years have been an email friend and supporter of the people who work in Samuel's orphange. It was the day before Carrie left that we figured out that she was going to this same orphanage--it was an amazing "coincidence!" I heard about your son's story from Carrie when she went there and have had your little boy in my heart all this time. I can't tell you how happy I am to hear he has a family! We have two daughters from China and were able to visit one of the orphanges--it was the most emotional experience of my life. I will pray for you for continual blessings from God. Virginia

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope you will let us know how things are going now that you are home. You have a beautiful family.
    Regina
    another Texan

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi,

    My name is Kim, I was wondering if you would email? blessedmom25@yahoo.com ...My husband and I have been praying about adopting an older boy, I was wondering how old Sammy is and how he has adjusted? I noticed that the commenter above me writes "another Texan" We are from TX also....are you a TX family? We are from Northeast TX.

    Thank you so much!
    Kim

    ReplyDelete